- When picking and storing fresh strawberries, remember that plump fully red strawberries are the tastiest fruit, remember, green strawberries don’t ripen off the vine so pick the berries with the deep red hue.
- Strawberry season is short, only three to four weeks, so plan on coming back to Rod’s Berry Farm often!
- Don’t forget to bring a suitable container! The best picking containers are shallow, flat boxes and 5 quart ice cream pails which makes up about 5 pounds of fresh strawberries. Deep containers tend to bruise the fruit at the bottom.
- Make sure to pick ripe strawberries with their caps on the fruit. You should pinch the stems to ensure the cap remains prolonging freshness.
- Keep your strawberries cool by putting them in the refrigerator as soon as you get home, don’t wash the fruit before chilling, instead rinse just prior to use. If you have long to drive before you get home it would be wise to bring a cooler to put your berries in.